Sunday, May 22, 2011

Broccoli and Cheese Soup | Soup Recipes

I have tasted Broccoli and cheese soup only twice so far. The first time I tasted it with much reluctance doubting it to be too cheesy. But it was very tasty and not too cheesy. Since I love broccoli, I enjoyed the tiny pieces of it in the soup. Now I had wanted to recreate the soup very much and was successful in my first attempt. It was a simple process with few easy ingredients and would be ready in under 20 minutes in a microwave. Paired with some bread it makes a wholesome meal in itself. One of the main ingredient, cheese (reduced fat) when used in moderation is an excellent source of protein and calcium. Also broccoli is rich in calcium and milk is rich in Vitamin D which helps in better calcium absorption by the body.


 Ingredients:
I used standard measurements
Serves - 2
Broccoli Florets - 1 cup
Milk - 3 cups
Grated Sharp Cheddar cheese - little less than 1 cup
Olive oil - 2 tbsp (can use butter instead)
All-purpose flour - 2 tbsp
Onion - chopped fine - 2 tbsp
Garlic - 1 clove - finely minced
Salt - 1/4 tsp or to taste
Fresh ground pepper - 1/4 tsp or to taste


Method:
My microwave(MW) is of a 900w power.
Cut the broccoli florets into bite sized pieces and add 1/4 cup of water and cook in a medium MW proof bowl for about 4 mins stirring once in between. When done mash with a fork or a hand blender. I just pulsed in the blender for a couple of seconds. Take another big MW proof bowl and add the olive oil and heat for 30 secs. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 mins stirring once every one minute. The onions would turn soft and translucent by now. Now add the flour and mix well. Pour the milk and stir well so that there are no lumps. Cook for 4 mins stirring once every minute. Now add the cheese, mix well and cook for 3 mins. When done add the mashed broccoli and mix well. Heat further for a minute. Serve hot with bread.



Sending this to MEC-Calcium rich food event by Srivalli and Lakshmi and to Hearth & Soup Blog Hop #49.
Hearth and Soul Hop at Sunshine and Smile

Sending this to Srivalli's Soups and Salads Mela

30 comments:

  1. Lovely combination.. looks amazing.. thanks for the recipe dear !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the crispy bread toast the creamy soup...yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally an awesome flavour there Krithi.I loved the recipe..hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the creamy texture,a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bowl full of comfort n deliciousness :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tha's more of a meal indulgence :P creamy heaven :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks creamy and yummy...teamed with the toasted bread its tempting me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice combo ...tha's bowl of soup looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soup looks creamy and inviting.. would go for a perfect breakfast..

    Sunanda's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful bowl of delicious,creamy and fantastic soup,lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW krithi this is one delicious looking bowl of cheesy, creamy and beautiful soup. Would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so rich and cheesy! Love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Comforting & cheesy & creamy..Like it~ like it.. :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love broccoli and I too make soup often wid it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving all your clicks, and recipes too, of course! :)
    Anjali
    Spice and Sugar Tales

    ReplyDelete
  16. A hearty soup, a delightful relish. Looks wonderful...

    By the way, I tried your version of Dum Aloo last Friday. The curry came out awesome. My husband too liked it a lot... :-) Just that, I didn't peel off the skin from the potatoes and so, though I prickled them all over with fork, the masala didn't get deep into the potatoes. I think it depends on the type of the potatoes. What I got were thick skinned. :-( But next time, will correct my mistake :-) Thanks for the wonderful recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks so adorable.. so creamy.. Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very soothing , healthy and delicious looking soup. Excellent preparation dear.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Creamy and cheesy soup looks so flavorful...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am going to bookmark this one, yummy soup..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice soup! Recipe is very simple,the result looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Delicious and drool worthy..tempting me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. delicious and nice soup !! looks so wonderful !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a new combo to me. And who can resist a bowl of flavorful soup?

    ReplyDelete
  25. lovely lovely lovely!!!! Not getting past these words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. brocolli and cheese a wonderful combination...very nice surely a kids favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds fantastic!!! I've got everything to do this -- have never considered using a microwave for more than reheating leftovers. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.