Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yardlong beans curry / Paithangai kari

I do not remember eating long beans at my home when I was a kid. I am not sure if it was not made or if it was I who didn't eat. I was a picky eater (back then). But I do remember eating from our friend Denny's lunch box in college whenever she brings this curry. Her mom is a great cook and whenever she prepares this curry and Sundal kulambu, Denny would have to swap her lunch with ours. We all used to finish hers in a wink. Those are good old memories. As soon as I saw the recipe for the long beans at her blog, I bought some on my grocery shopping and immediately tried it. I have tried this curry for a couple of times now and loved it every time. It is a perfect and tasty combo for rice as well as roti.
Ingredients:
Yard long beans / Payathangai - 1/2 kg - 1 lb - cut into 1/2" pieces
Onions - chopped - 1 cup
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves -  a few
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Make a paste:
Grated coconut - fresh/frozen - 2 tbsp
Tomato - 1 - cubed
Garlic - 2 cloves
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 3/4 tsp (I reduced this by 1/4 tsp, since I used lesser coconut)
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Method:
Grind the ingredients under 'Make a Paste' to a smooth paste adding little or no water. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Now add the beans and fry until it is soft and cooked, about 7-10 mins. Add salt, ground paste and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook for 5 mins. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 5 mins until the raw smell disappears and the desired thickness is achieved. 
Tip: I usually cut and freeze vegetables which has shorter life. In this case, I washed the beans in running water and left it to air dry for 30 mins. I then chopped it into 1/2" pieces and placed it in a ziploc bag and stored in the freezer. Green beans, bottle gourd, winter melon and few other vegetables can also be stored in this way in a ziploc bag or freezer safe box.


I am sending this healthy curry to Bookmarked recipes - Every Tuesday event by Aipi and Priya.

34 comments:

  1. love this recipe.and very well explained ...love the pics tooo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your paste, sounds mouth watering. Beautiful color too. Thanks for linking it to our event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious..nice recipe...beautiful clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOnderdul recipe there.All lovely pictures to accompany..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby and I love string beans, but I usually follow the same old stir-fry recipe. This looks like something I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this curry, a prefect pair for curd rice..wonderful bowl of delicious curry Krithi..

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recipe ~ the color n texture of the gravy is too good!
    Thanks a lot for linking to bookmarked event :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  8. havent tried beans this way.. nice clicks krithi!

    Check out an award waiting for you on my blog!

    Hobby And More Blog ,
    Hobby And More on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgot to post the award post link :)
    http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/05/pear-bread-and-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved ur collage work, Krithi.. Am gonna bookmark this one and also going to buy long beans ..Thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. simple and quick. I love this side dish a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. super curry !! loved the color !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. long beans curry looks superb........

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love beans curry. I freeze a lot of vegetables too Krithi.

    Vardhini
    VardhinisKitchen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Nice curry! It looks very great and lovely1

    ReplyDelete
  16. The curry with the beans is a tasty combination. No wonder you liked it very much. Bookmarked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thats a damn delicious curry!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  18. aromatic masala and i have never tried anydish with payathangai.sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  19. i too make it almost the same way...Luks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tempting and delicious curry..aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this beans, but it's hard to find the fresh ones here

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great bean curry to go with paratha or roti and that tip you shared is awsm. i am going to try that !
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice clicks krithi, paithangai looks yum, the paste in it looks flavourful !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Green bean is my fav! looks fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow... mouth watering recipe.. looks simply superb !
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks very delicious! The paste looks very aromatic.

    ReplyDelete
  27. looks delicious. i love string beans.. will give this curry a try for sure and let u know:-)

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.