Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Beetroot Rice / Beetroot Sadham | Indian Rice Recipes

DH once recited a list of dishes and asked me if I have it in my blog. I said "no" to most of them. Those are the recipes which we make most often but never got a chance to click them. As a part of my ongoing "more rice recipes for blog pact", I thought I should try to click them whenever I can. Here I am with another simple and easy recipe which we make often. Paired with simple curry or just yogurt and pickle, it is a satisfactory meal.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2
Beetroot - 2 small - grated
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1/4 cup
Green chilli - 1 or 2
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Split urad dhal - 1/2 tsp
Chana dhal - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Method:
Cook rice and spread in a plate to allow it to cool. Heat oil in a non-stick kadai and splutter the mustard seeds, urad dhal and chana dhal. When the chana dhal turns light brown in color add the slit green chilli and onions. Fry until the onions are cooked and add the cumin powder and salt. Add the grated beetroot and saute for a couple of minutes. Add about 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Cover and cook in medium heat until done. This would take about 10-15 minutes. Mix occasionally to avoid burning. When the beetroot is cooked through, add the cooked cooled rice and mix well. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with any curry of your choice.


Sending this to Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight event hosted by Pavani.

11 comments:

  1. looks delicious,perfect color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice looks so beautiful and tempting.

    EVENT -Mango Delights
    http://kausers-kitchen.blogspot.in/2013/05/my-first-event-mango-delights.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved this colour. Tempting beetroot rice, delicious.

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/05/250th-post-eggless-chocolate-sponge.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This invites my daughter for sure... being it in PINK color... :-)



    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picture perfect... and oh the beautiful color.. irresistible..
    Sowmya
    Event - WTML w giveaway
    Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow very delicious looking rice :) love the color

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! what a coincidence my recent post is similar to this.. This is my favorite one..
    Sunandas Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.