Saturday, October 26, 2013

Zucchini Coconut Muffins

Baking is therapeutic they say. For me baking is blissful. I bet it is the aroma coming from the oven which makes me say so. When all your favorite ingredients go into the making you will sure enjoy the sweet smell, don't you? This is one such muffin. 
Coconut is an important part of Indian cooking. And it is really good for you, when taken is limited quantity. Hailing from South India, naturally I love coconut. But this is the first time I am using coconut in baking and it didn't fail me.
Ingredients:
Recipe adapted from here
Whole Wheat Flour - 3/4 cup
All purpose flour / Maida - 3/4 cup
Baking soda - 3/4 tsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
Ground Nutmeg - 1/4 tsp
Slivered almonds - 1/4 cup (optional)
Zucchini -1 - grated - approx 1-1/2 cups (no need to squeeze)
Sweetened shredded coconut - 3/4 cup - loosely packed
Sugar - 3/4 cup (Use brown sugar if you have)
Unrefined Coconut Oil - 1/3 cup (can substitute vegetable or any light tasting oil)
Egg - 1
Plain yogurt - 1/2 cup (regular/greek)
Pure Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Method:
Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C. Line a 12 count muffin tin. Whisk/Sieve the dry ingredients, flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and almonds. Whisk the sugar and yogurt until the sugar is dissolved. No need to use a hand mixer, even a spoon works good. Add the oil, egg and vanilla extract and mix again. Mix the zucchini and grated coconut. Now pour the mixed wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix a couple of times. Until it is just mixed and no dry flour is seen. Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter to each muffin liner. Bake for 20 minutes.
Notes:
Unsweetened shredded coconut can also be used. If you have brown sugar, go ahead and use it. I did not have any. I had organic unrefined coconut oil which I used. It really emphasised the coconut-ty aroma while I totally loved. Any other oil works fine too.

6 comments:

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.