Sunday, March 1, 2015

Blueberries and Cream Oatmeal | Baby & Toddler Food Ideas

'One should never shop on an empty stomach' is a good saying. You end up buying more than you need. That is true. In my case I got this can of evaporated milk thinking of making some dessert way back in November which was on sale for Thanksgiving. It had been sitting in my pantry often noticed, but never cared for. 
The other day I opened this can to make a creamy pasta sauce from scratch. I did not use it up all and it was sitting in my fridge for a couple of days. One fine morning, I decided to make a creamy blueberry oatmeal hoping that my little one will have for breakfast. He loves anything blueberries. But since he was becoming more picky off late, I offered him his usual favorite cereal with milk. He had happily. Coming again to the point that I had to finish off the evaporated milk I still made this creamy blueberry oatmeal later that morning. When it was done, the food blogger in me nudged 'It looks blog-worthy, why don't you take a few clicks'. And so when I was laying the setup, pulling the table near to the window, placing it in cups to picture, he got all interested and said in a sing-song tone.. "yummy yummy blueberry mum-mum". He did give me 5 minutes to click as much as I wanted and then demanded a taste. We set out to finish one cup later.
Ingredients:
Serves - 2
Rolled Oats - 1 cup
Whole Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Evaporated milk - 1/4 cup
Maple Syrup - 4 tsp or to taste
Salt - a pinch
Blueberries - 1/2-3/4 cup
Method:
In a medium glass (microwave safe) bowl, mix the oats, milk and salt. Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stirring once in between. Add the maple syrup, blueberries, evaporated milk and mix. Microwave for one more minute and allow a standing time of 2 minutes. Divide into two bowls and serve hot.
Alternate Stove top method:
Boil milk and water until just hot. Add the oats and salt and cook in medium heat until most of the milk is absorbed. Add the maple syrup, blueberries and evaporated milk. Mix and heat until warm. Divide and serve.
In the stovetop method, if you need a creamy, gooey consistency of the oats, add the oats and salt when the milk is still cold and then start cooking.
Notes: Adjust sweetness and amount of blueberries to your taste.
Looking for oatmeal with fruits? Check out my Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal and Mango Oatmeal.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious and lovely looking oatmeal. Very inviting as well.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.